[vtkusers] Newbie: building VTK on OSX

Greg St. George gstgeorge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 16:38:54 EDT 2006

Folks:

I am just trying to get started with VTK.  I am running a Mac G4, OS X
10.4.6

I was able to build VTK for with wrappers for Python 2.3 using the suggested
paths for Python paths.  I have been using Python 2.4, and all my other
stuff is installed off of that tree.  Python 2.4  is installed pretty much
isomorphically off of the /Library rather than /System, so I simply
duplicated the symbolic links which Python 2.3 uses (with slightly altered
names) to the corresponding parts of Python 2.4.  However this doesn't work:
I get

Building CXX object
Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRendering.dir/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.o
In file included from
/usr/local/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx:27:
/usr/local/VTK-build2.4/Rendering/vtkgl.h:32:20: error: GL/glx.h: No such
file or directory

followed by pages of error messages.  It seems not to be finding an OpenGL
header.  I have not yet (successfully) installed the python bindings to
OpenGL to either 2.3 or 2.4, so I can't undersand why one should work and
the other not, even if these are required.  To run python 2.4 I usually
re-ordler  /usr/bin and /usr/local in my search path, but I get the same
error regardless of how this is set.  I am using CMake 2.4.2

I have been selecting: Cocoa: ON, (Carbon: OFF), RPath: ON, with only Python
wrappings.

Do any of the OSX gurus here have an idea of what is going on?  I am (more
than) a bit over my head in all this and am not sure where to turn.   Sorry
if I am missing something easy which any fool should know...

Respectfully,

Greg