[vtkusers] Re: OSX 10.4 Headless 64-bit build

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jun 6 10:29:18 EDT 2006

On 2006-06-05 21:15, jonathan grimm said:

>Still trying to do a headless build first error was because the c++
>compiler was mapped to gcc (OOPS).  Moving on it looks like there is a
>carbon dependency in vtkCommon vtkMultiThreader.h .
>This is the compile error I get, but my understanding is that as long
>as Carbon.h is included this won't link on 64-bit.  Any suggestions?

Well, to be really picky you could probably _include_ Carbon.h, but if
you use any functions from it you are certainly doomed.

I'm afraid the only options are: 1) wait until Carbon can be used in 64
bit, and Apple has not said when/if this will be 2) don't use Carbon, ie
rewrite the parts of vtk that you need to not use Carbon, if even possible.

Though in this case it might not be so bad...

>Building CXX object Common/CMakeFiles/vtkCommon.dir/vtkMultiThreader.o
>/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/
>CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MachineExceptions.h:272:
>error: typedef 'ExceptionHandlerProcPtr' is initialized (use
>__typeof__ instead)

It is vtkMultiThreader.cxx that is including Carbon to call the function
MPProcessors().  For now, I suggest just hardcoding it to 1 or 2 and see
if you run into other errors after that.  If that's the only problem, we
can fix vtk, there are other lower level (non-Carbon) APIs to do the
same thing.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com