[vtkusers] 3D stereo with VTK (SetStereoTypeToCrystalEyes)

Santiago Rodríguez santiagorodriguez at fibertel.com.ar
Mon Jun 5 23:30:52 EDT 2006

Hi, I need to develope a 3D application with stereo capabilities using
VTK.
I’m using an nVidia GeForce 6200 with shutter glasses from eDimensional
and I have a standard CRT monitor.

First I enable the stereo property of the video card and I put on the
shutter glasses.
Then I run the medical test image for stereo (a demo image from nVidia)
an it works very well.

The problem is when I set VTK for stereo capabilities, the image looks
like a shifted copy of the right eye (or left eye).
I see a parallel copy of the right image (or left image) shifted, but
not with the correct perspective or eye angle.

I’m usig the following code in C++  Builder 6.0:
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->SetStereoCapableWindow(1);
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->StereoRenderOn();
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->SetStereoTypeToCrystalEyes();
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->StereoUpdate();

Could be the video card or the shutter glasses? or is there something
wrong in my code?

When I write:
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->SetStereoTypeToLeft();
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->StereoUpdate();
or
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->SetStereoTypeToRight();
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->StereoUpdate();
or
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->SetStereoTypeToAnaglyph();
vtkWindow1->GetRenderWindow()->StereoUpdate();
it works very well.

Using these three last modes I modify the eye angle with
“vtkWindow1->GetRenderer()->GetActiveCamera()->SetEyeAngle(MyVisualAngle
)” and it works very well too.
But the same code with the “SetStereoTypeToCrystalEyes()” function
doesn’t work.

Anyone can help me??
Thanks
Santiago Rodríguez