[vtkusers] Stream Error dependant on the number of pieces

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon Jun 5 10:13:38 EDT 2006

I have a large ( 2 GB ) VFF file that I convert to the VTK XML image
file format in streamed pieces with the attached VFFReadXMLWrite.cxx.
I've used the commented out sections to filter and re-sample the image
successfully.

When I tried to move the filtering to a separate program, so that it is
easier to use different filters and so on, I get an error message and a
segfault. I've reduced the error to an XML reader connected directly to
an XML writer as in ImageGaussianSmooth.cxx.

ERROR: In /home/kevin/kitware/VTK/IO/vtkXMLStructuredDataReader.cxx, line 314
vtkXMLImageDataReader (0x515210): Error reading extent 626 626 678 681 648 655 from piece 113

ERROR: In /home/kevin/kitware/VTK/IO/vtkXMLDataReader.cxx, line 481
vtkXMLImageDataReader (0x515210): Cannot read point data array "ImageFile" from PointData in piece 113.  The data array in the element may be too short.

Just to look at the extent I did what's below on the source file, and
I'm confused why the extents are different.

head -n 880 CT-Apr_13_2006/stomach.vti | grep "Piece Extent" | head -n 114 | tail -n1
    <Piece Extent="626 785 678 909 437 655">

When I do a smaller number of pieces the error goes away. It works when
both programs are set to use 8 pieces. It does not work when both
programs are set to use 125 pieces.