[vtkusers] VTK & MPI

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Jul 27 10:46:08 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 17:16 +0300, Hanan Hassanein wrote:
> MPIRun.exe -np 2 -localonly VTK_MPI.exe
> Fatal error; unknown error handler
> May be MPI call before MPI_INIT.  Error message is MPI_COMM_SIZE and
> code is 197 Wait for process 0 to write port to temporary file timed
> out

What does the switch -localonly do? The mpiexec I use has an option to
disable all communicators in case you really just want to run a regular
program on a bunch of nodes. I doubt an MPI program would be able to
init in this situation.

Does this happen with the hello world program? Can you run the program
in a debugger? If not just stick std::cout << "Got here!" << std::endl
in various places to see what's going on.