[vtkusers] vtkDICOMImageReader does not display images - VTK 5.0

Andres Munarriz munarriz.a at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 12:39:14 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to read DICOM images using the vtkDICOMImageReader and
display it in a wxWidgets window.  Everything seems to be working ok
except that the image isn't displayed at all.  If I call the viewer-
 >Render() method a new window is opened but the image isn't
displayed either.  I'm running MacOSX 10.4.  I believe the code is fine.

The following snippet is used to construct the wxWidget frame to
display the file (or series)

ImageFrame::ImageFrame(wxMDIParentFrame *pp_Parent, const wxString&
p_strTitle, const wxPoint& p_Pos, const wxSize& p_Size, const long
p_lStyle):wxMDIChildFrame(pp_Parent, -1, p_strTitle, p_Pos, p_Size,
p_lStyle | wxNO_FULL_REPAINT_ON_RESIZE)
{
	vtk_interactor = new wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor(
		this, MDI_VTK_MINI_WINDOW);
	vtk_interactor->UseCaptureMouseOn();

	viewer = vtkImageViewer2::New();
	viewer->SetupInteractor(vtk_interactor);

	viewer->SetColorWindow(WINDOW_VALUE);
	viewer->SetColorLevel(LEVEL_VALUE);
}

bool ImageFrame::OpenSeries(wxString path)
{
	atImage = fachade->srvOpenSeries(path);
	viewer->SetInput(atImage);
	viewer->SetupInteractor(vtk_interactor);
//	viewer->Update();
//	viewer->Render();

	return (atImage != NULL);
}

the Fachada object returns a vtkImageData* after calling the
ImageProcessingCore OpenSeries method.

vtkImageData* ImageProcessingCore::OpenSeries(const char* path){

     reader->SetDirectoryName(path);
     reader->Update();
     return reader->GetOutput();
}