[vtkusers] strange error while using SetDirectoryName twice on vtkDICOMImageReader

Pankaj Daga deluded.soul at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 13:17:57 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

For the past few hours, I have been trying to find out why I get this error
on using vtkDICOMImageReader class. I am new to VTK and was playing around
with this class when I noticed this error.

I initialize a DICOM reader object and attach it to a vtkDICOMImageViewer
object. This works fine. The error happens when I set the directory of the
DICOM reader to point to another DICOM directory. Then, I get the error:

libc detected: free() invalid pointer.

Here is my code:

  vtkDICOMImageReader *reader = vtkDICOMImageReader::New();
  vtkImageViewer* image_view = vtkImageViewer::New();
  image_view->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());

  reader->SetDirectoryName("/home/luca/data/dicom/11089");
  reader->Update();

  widget.SetRenderWindow(image_view->GetRenderWindow());
  image_view->SetupInteractor(widget.GetRenderWindow ()->GetInteractor());

  // When I display this without the next lines, it works fine.

  // NOW I TRY TO UPDATE MY READER with a new input.

  reader->SetDirectoryName("/home/luca/data/dicom/11088");
  reader->Update();

  When I call the SetDirectoryName method, the program crashes with libc
error. I am new to VTK and maybe I am using it the way that it is not
supposed to be used. Maybe, I have to pause the rendering or something. If
anyone has any ideas, please help.

I have no idea what is going on! Please help! I wish this bug did not happen
on a Friday!

Thanks,

Luca