[vtkusers] Suse 10.1 wx + vtk flickering

Toon Huysmans denhuys at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 10:05:35 EDT 2006

Hello vtk users,

I have a small application, written in python, that uses vtk and
wxWidgets to visualize vtkpolydata. The application runs fine under
windows xp, using the python enthought edition 2.4.3. (vtk 5.0.0 and wx
2.6.1.0). But when I run the same program under Suse linux 10.1, with
the inculded python libs (vtk 5.1.0 and wx 2.6.2.1), I experience
flickering when interacting with the renderwindow.

Here is a small app to reproduce the problem:

#! /usr/bin/env python

import sys

from vtk import *
from vtk.wx.wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor import *
import wx

app = wx.PySimpleApp()
frame = wx.Frame(None,wx.ID_ANY, "test")

# set up the renderwindow and renderer
renderWidget = wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor(frame, -1)

# the renderer
renderer = vtkRenderer()
renderWidget.GetRenderWindow().AddRenderer(renderer)

# the surface
obj = vtkConeSource()
obj.SetResolution(50)

objMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper()
objMapper.SetInput(obj.GetOutput())

objActor = vtkActor()
objActor.SetMapper(objMapper)

renderer.AddActor(objActor)

app.MainLoop()

What is going wrong?
I have read several posts about this topic from a couple of years ago
but didn't get any wiser.

Ps.: the flickering doesn't occur when I use a vtkRenderWindow.

Regards,

Toon Huysmans

Postal Address:
  Vision Lab, Department of Physics