[vtkusers] Re: Metaball Simulation

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:55:38 EST 2006

Clever.. so you mean I would derive a vtkMetaballs from vtkImplicitFunction
that basically had 1 user function "AddMetaball(float position[3], float
radius)".  Then all i'll need is to override the EvaluateFunction and
EvaluateGradient to return the correct value, right?

wow.. That's nowhere near as complicated as I was expecting to have to do
:)  Thanks!

On 1/26/06, Goodwin Lawlor <goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie> wrote:

> Randall Hand wrote:
> > I'm curious if there is any way in VTK to do a create a MetaBall-type
> > dataset.  Example of metaballs can be found here:
> > http://www.corelmag.com/1103/overview/Metaball_Modeling.html
> > <http://www.corelmag.com/1103/overview/Metaball_Modeling.html>
> >
> > Basically I want to be able to define points in 3d-space along with a
> > Radius for each, and then have a vtkPolyData (or something like it)
> > created from the results of the Metaball surface.  Is there any way to
> > do this in VTK?  I can get a rough approximation by using a vtkGlyph3d
> > and mapping a vtkSphereSource at each point, but that leaves
> > intersecting geometry without the smooth features that come from a
> > Metaballs type algorithm.
>
> Hi Randall,
>
> This looks a job for a vtkImplicitFunction... maybe called vtkMetaballs.
> vtkMetaballs would define a centre, a radius, and a potential function
> for each metaball you add to the system. Then, just sample it with
> vtkSampleFunction, and create the surface with a vtkContourFilter.
>
> Have a look at this paper: http://tinyurl.com/7fdox
>
> hth
>
> Goodwin

Randall Hand