[vtkusers] extracting imageData from volume in a plane

Prasenjit Roy roy_prasenjit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 14:56:50 EST 2006

Hi Paul,
  Did you try with vtkImagePlaneWidget. Use GetTexture method to extract texture from the plane and then pass it to say vtkBMPWriter ti print image. Let me know if that works.

  Prasenjit Roy.

"Karnowski, Thomas Paul" <karnowskitp at ornl.gov> wrote:
  Hello,

I have a volume I've read from a file and I am using a vtkPlane as a
clipping plane during visualization. I use a vtkImplicitPlaneWidget to
place an arbitrarily positioned slice through the volume, and this works
great. Now I need to use the plane information (origin and normal) to
extract an image of this plane. I can't seem to figure out how to do
this. Can anyone help me? It seems like vtkProbeFilter is close to
what I wanted, but I want to output image data that I can write to a
file, not polydata.

I've googled & looked through the documentation and can't seem to find
an answer to this...it seems like a pretty straightforward thing but
again my searching has come up short.

Regards,
Tom Karnowski

Prasenjit Roy