[vtkusers] Cutting with a PolyLine

Bruno da Silva de Oliveira bruno at esss.com.br
Thu Jan 19 15:20:55 EST 2006

Hi there,

I would like to know how to cut a vtkDataSet using a polyline. I have
tried vtkImplicitDataSet for that, using a vtkPolyData containing only
one polyline and with its point scalars set to 1.0, while setting the
OutValue of vtkImplicitDataSet to 0.0, in the hope that vtkCutter with a
cut value of 1.0 would cut exactly in the polyline. It didn't work, no
polyline was generated by vtkCutter. Studying its algorithm I understood
why: vtkCutter loops over all the points of the input dataset,
evaluating the function's value for that point and then contouring the
resulting dataset with each cut value.

My question is: is there any other way to cut a dataset with a polyline
without implementing my own polyline function, or is there another way?

Best Regards,

--
Bruno da Silva de Oliveira
bruno at esss.com.br
ESSS - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software
http://www.esss.com.br