[vtkusers] Universal Binary of vtk on Mac OS X... initial investigations...

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Feb 16 14:37:45 EST 2006

Sean McBride wrote:

>On 2006-02-16 12:43, David Cole said:
>

>>Feel free to enter a bug/feature request
>>

>Well, I entered one a few months ago against cmake:
><http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2492>
>
>and there has been good discussion within.
>
>Is entering one against vtk in order too?  Perhaps a bug to encourage
>cleanup/deprecation of TRY_COMPILE usage?

Absolutely. Enter a feature request against VTK, too. Then copy your
http link to the CMake bug into the text of the VTK bug. The reason I'm
recommending this is because VTK and the utility libraries that it
builds make extremely heavy use of TRY_COMPILE to determine availability
of features of the system it's being built on. I suspect there are many
more gotchas to cross-compiling VTK than merely having the CMake support
to build universal binaries.

>>(Then figure out how to do it right and attach that
>>info / patches to the bug tracker entry...)
>>

>That's the tricky part. :)

Yes, but I'm counting on you to figure it out lest this become a pie in
the sky discussion... :-)

David