[vtkusers] Unable to get VTK working with Python2.4

キャピエ ファブリス kappamonagare at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Feb 16 04:12:56 EST 2006

Dear list,

After 2 days of strugle and frustration, I resort to
posting on this mailing-list.
I am trying to get running VTK bidings for Python 2.4.2 on
winXP.
I first spent the first few hours scourging the internet
and this ML archives in the hope of finding appropriate
binaries but could not find anything.  Eventually, it
dawned on me that I had no choice but to compile VTK
myself so I downloaded the sources of version 5.0.0.
Using the GUI of Cmake, I generated the appropriate files
for Visual C++ Express 8 to compile in a separate
directory.
Visual C++ compiled the BUILD_ALL project without error
(just some deprecation warnings regarding sprintf and
strcpy which seem to be considered dangerous by Visual C++
for some reason).
Then I executed :
setup.py build -BUILD_TYPE=minsizerel
and
setup.py install -BUILD_TYPE=minsizerel
(minsizerel being the only directory in bin folder that
was created during compilation)

I thought that I had finally managed to install VTK on my
computer, but when I tried to import vtk from python, a
windows dialog popped up and told me that
vtkCommonPythonD.dll could not be found.
Browsing through the bin directory of VTK, I indeed found
several DLLs whose names ended with "D". In the python
site-packages's vtk folder, only the versions of the DLL
not ending with "D" were to be found (eg:
vtkCommonPython.dll).
Of course, I tried copying vtkCommonPythonD.dll to my
site-packages's vtk installation folder and tried once
again to import vtk.
This time, I got a new message dialog saying "Procedure
Enty Point ?SetXMax at vtkBox@@UAEXQAN at Z could not be found
in the dynamic library vtkCommon.dll"

I am completely lost. Is there something simple that I
overlooked and which would make VTK working ?
Better yet, would anyone have binaries for vtk on win32
that have been linked with Python 2.4 and accept to offer
them for download ?

F. Capiez