[vtkusers] 3D Visualization of Map Data

Ron Chapman Ron.Chapman at rwdi.com
Tue Feb 14 23:28:16 EST 2006

Malcolm,

I'm having problems trying to implement your suggestion.

>>One approach would be to run an elevation filter on your 3D map (to
create scalar values) and then a >>transform with scale set to
1.0,1.0,0.0 which will set all your z values to 0.0. Then probe this
dataset >>with your overlay features (which are at elevation 0.0) and
run the output through vtkWarpScalars (to >>apply the sampled elevations
to your overlay). The only problem is that sampling will only take place
at >>points defined in your overlay dataset and the result may not look
good due to non-sampled >>intersections with your 3D map. Adding some
extra elevation to your overlay may fix this.

I do understand that reconfiguring my 2D shape file to have points
located on the edges of my 3d mesh is the best approach, and will
attempt this once I get the above working first.

Here is my pipeline

// run the elevation filter to get the elevation scalars

 vtkElevationFilter *Elevation = vtkElevationFilter::New();
 Elevation->SetInput(Mesh3D);

 // convert our 3d mesh to 2d

 vtkTransform *Transform = vtkTransform::New();
 Transform->Scale(1.0,1.0,0.0);

 vtkTransformPolyDataFilter *transFilter =
vtkTransformPolyDataFilter::New();
 transFilter->SetInput(Mesh);
 transFilter->SetTransform(Transform);

 // probe 2d mesh with shape data

    vtkProbeFilter *Probe = vtkProbeFilter::New();
   Probe->SetInput(Shape2D);
   Probe->SetSource(trasnFilter->GetOutput());

 // apply the sampled elevation to the overlay

 vtkWarpScalar *Warp = vtkWarpScalar::New();
 Warp->SetInput(Probe->GetPolyDataOutput());
 Warp->XYPlaneOn();

I'm confused as to how the elevation filter and warpscalars are working
together to get my 2D shape file into 3D?  The above pipeline is giving
me garbage.

Ron