[vtkusers] [query] good venue for publishing a dataset?

Will Ray willray at mac.com
Fri Feb 10 14:07:47 EST 2006

Oddball question for the list, but I figure people here probably
have the best ideas of useful venues for publishing volume
datasets.

Specifically I'm looking for an appropriate place to
publish/disseminate a volume dataset we acquired this past
summer.  It's a rather high-resolution visible-light photo
set, taken from a de-fleshed Chinchilla skull.

Fine bone (and some cartilage) detail is visible in the nasal
passsages, (which was the point of doing the dataset), and we
have a partially segmented version, segmenting for bone, that's
probably 98% right, but still needs some minor corrections.

The raw dataset volume is on the order of 1024x1024x512, but
we've done most of our work with a 1/4 planar resolution (512x512x512)
downsampling.

At this point, the project that was driving the creation of the
dataset is pretty much finished with it, and probably won't take
it much further in terms of model refinement, etc.  So I'm
interested in turning it loose, if there's a useful venue for
publishing it.

I'm aware of the online Insight Journal, but from visiting the
web page it's not clear to me that there's much life there, and
due to the amount of effort that went into capturing this dataset,
I'd rather not relegate it to a throw-away publication (of course,
my perception of the I.J. might be completely wrong, and you're
welcome to tell me that as well).

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Will Ray
The Ohio State University Biophysics Department
Columbus Children's Research Institute.