[vtkusers] Clipping of a volume

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:44:28 EST 2006

Well, is your vtkPlane Axis Aligned? If it is, then try looking into the
vtkExtractVOI filter, which will return a vtkStructuredPoints for you.

If the plane is arbitrarily positioned in space, then you need to think
about what you want to do with all the "clipped" cells along the edge.
That's why the result is an vtkUnstructuredGrid, because of the prisms,
triangles, and tetrahedra that occur along angular cuts.  You would need to
find a way to return this to a vtkStructuredPoints, probably with a
vtkProbeFilter & a blank vtkImageData (vtkStructuredPoints) of the desired
size..  But this will be extremely slow and wasteful of memory.  Best to
just use the vtkUnstructuredGrid as-is :)

On 2/10/06, Rhys Thomas <rgt at informatics.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>     I was wondering if anyone could provide some hints on the following
> problem: I wish to clip an instance of/ vtkStructuredPoints/ using a
> /vtkPlane/. I want the output to be an instance of /vtkStructuredPoints/
> so that I can insert it into my graphics pipeline in place of another
> instance of /vtkStructuredPoints/ because I am performing other
> operations on the data (changing opacity of certain voxels, contrast
> stretching). I am currently using /vtkRenderer::AddVolume /to add a
> /vtkVolume/ to the pipeline. I have tried variations of /vtkCutter,
> vtkClipVolume /and/ vtkProbeFilter, /but with disappointing results.
> Does anyone have  any suggestions as to the quickest (i.e. least
> processor intensive) solution to this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rhys

Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist,