[vtkusers] volume rendering performance

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:02:20 EST 2006

I think the best results will actually come from using the
vtkProjectedTetrahedraMapper -
http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.0/html/a01919.html

I've pretty much tried them all.  The vtkVolumeRayCastMapper took about an
hour to generate an image for me, the vtkFixedPointRayCastMapper cut it down
to about 30 minutes.  The vtkProjectedTetrahedraMapper takes the cake,
however, at a whopping 5 minutes.  Unfortunately, it does take alot more
memory as it requires you to "tetrahedralize" your mesh.

On 2/6/06, flin at enders.tch.harvard.edu <flin at enders.tch.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I need some advice on how much imporvement the
> vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper will make vs. regular
> vtkVolumeRayCastMapper ?  I'm doing volume rendering of roughly
> 250x80x150 voxels, and the speed is unacceptable.   Any suggestions on how
> to speed up?  Specifically, how to use hardware to accelerate it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> /faith

Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist,