[vtkusers] MangledMesa & VTK

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Dec 28 13:16:18 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 10:46 -0700, Wylie, Brian wrote:
> Randall,
>
> Hmmm..... I'm pretty sure plain old Mesa will work. I think the
> popping up of the X window was fixed a while back.
>
> I'm poking through the archives and cannot find the confirmation of
> this... but we have dozens of clusters without graphics cards running
> Mesa pvservers (all servers are running X though...).
>
> Now if the servers don't have X, then I'm not sure about this... maybe
> someone who know a bit more about it can chime in?

I've been alternately fighting with this same issue, and very happy with
it. The residue it's left on my mind is: Use straight mesa without DRI.
VTK_USE_OFFSCREEN causes trouble and doesn't fix anything. The examples
use specific mesa opengl classes and that's not how to get offscreen
rendering to work I was told to use the factories. Failing that you can
always just run an xvfb process to provide a fake xserver.

I just went back and reran my little learn to do offscreen volume
rendering program (attached). It works in an xterm but when I run it
from the system console it whines that it can't connect to the X server.
So I guess I'm also back to fighting with offscreen rendering just like
you Randall.