[vtkusers] stencil buffer and constructive solid geometry (CSG)

Louis Desjardins lost_bits1110 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:56:43 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I'm trying to produce the intersection of two objects, created by VTK (for
example a sphere and a plane using vtkSphereSource and vtkPlaneSource).  I
want to do this using the stencil buffer and CSG. I am able to do this using
just glut/GL commands, however I need to be able to do this using objects
created by VTK.

In order to obtain more control over VTK's rendering methods, I subclasses
some of the vtk classes, namely vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow,
vtkOpenGLPolyDataMapper, and vtkOpenGLActor, and commented out any GL
commands such as "glDepthMask" or any commands that I feel might interfere
with the stencil operation.

However I still dont get an intersection of my sphere and plane! I don't
know if there might be other classes that might be affecting this, though I
used grep to search for any classes in VTK's Rendering folder that contained
GL depth commands or stencil commands or anything that might affect this and
can't seem to find anymore..

Would anyone have any clues as to what else could be interfering with my CSG
operation using the stencil buffer?

Thank you very much in advance!!

LD