[vtkusers] Please help! vtkActor::Render( )

Louis Desjardins lost_bits1110 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 13:23:11 EDT 2006

Hi VTK Experts,

I had put a post regarding this before but didnt get any response, I was
probably unclear in my question.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried using the function
vtkActor::Render( Renderer *, Mapper *) to render actors in a scene? I need
to use some OpenGL and GLUT commands and I need to be able to render the vtk
actor's at a particular time/state.

The standard way of adding actors to a renderer, renderer to a renderwindow,
causes the actors to be rendered whenever VTK wants. However I need more
control over when the actors are rendered. Hence I need to be able to use
this function.
I did something like this in my code:

// Ren1 contains no actors
RenWin->AddRenderer( Ren1 );
RenWin->Render();
Actor->Render();

This however just causes a blank screen to be rendered. What am I doing
wrong? Or is it just not possible to have more immediate control over when
the actor's are rendered...?

If anyone can give me any suggestions this would really help a lot!!! BTW I
also tried adding a RenderWindow::Frame() command after calling
RenderWindow::Render(). This however resulted in a strange looking image..

Thanks again in advance for your help!!!!
LD