[vtkusers] Does vtkDecimationPro sometimes produce some shared boundary edges?

Manoj Mohadikar manoj_mohadikar at persistent.co.in
Tue Apr 25 03:48:56 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have implemented a function for checking whether the decimated image is
rectangular or not. I call this function just after decimation step and
decimation is done using vtkDecimationPro. Loosing any original corner
and/or getting directly-not-connected two consecutive vertices along image
boundary signify non-rectangular shape.

Since no boundary edge can be shared by more than one triangle, a boundary
edge should occur only once in the facelist.

But vtkDecimationPro sometimes produces some shared boundary edges. While
checking thoroughly the triangles (a.k.a. facelist) generated through
decimation (stored into vtkPolyData) I have detected such cases. We have
cross-verified that the problematic triangle has non-zero area (if we
consider all three co-ordinates).

What could be the possible reasons for getting such cases? Could you focus
light on this issue?

Could you add holes detection technique inside vtk library? We really need
such function to fix holes generated during decimation.

Thanks

Manoj