[vtkusers] out-of-source-build of VTK 4.2

Martin Baumann mailsgetlost at web.de
Tue Sep 27 17:24:41 EDT 2005

Hi,

I want to install VTK 4.2 in a out of source build way. So I read the installation guide in
'The VTK User's Guide'. Thereafter I did the following steps:

  a.. Download latest Version of VTK Source
  b.. extract the source of VTK to /home/your_name/local/src/VTK4.2
  c.. create a VTK directory: /home/your_name/local/lib/VTK4.2
  d.. start a console and
  cd /home/your_name/local/lib/VTK4.2

  cmake -i ../../src/VTK4.2

  (with Option CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/your_name/local)

  e.. make

  f.. make install
Before I entered make, there were files in the /usr/your_name/local/lib/VTK4.2 directory. They were created by cmake.

After make install a new directory /usr/your_name/local/lib/vtk and /usr/your_name/local/include/vtk was created and a lot of files were copied into them.

What are the files in /usr/your_name/local/lib/VTK4.2 for?

Is this the right way to make an out of source build?

Thanks,

Martin