[vtkusers] install solution for Mac OS X Tiger

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Sep 23 10:26:36 EDT 2005

On 2005-09-23 00:44, Jason Yerardi said:

>5. Installing from CVS source
>
>My last effort (which should have been my FIRST) was to install from
>CVS source. The first time I tried, I selected both carbon and X11
>support. This failed because the Mac OS X OpenGL libraries are
>separate from the X11 OpenGL libraries, but they both use lots of
>variables with the same names. This caused multiple definition
>errors, halting the compile process.
>
>The next time I tried, I selected only carbon support and deselected
>ALL occurrences of X11 includes and libs flags in the cmake
>configuration process. You have to do this because, even if you don't
>select to build for X11, the default cmake values for X11 includes
>and libs will remain intact. So you will still get compiler errors.
>After I removed those X11 flags, the entire compilation went
>flawlessly without a single error or warning message. I proceeded
>with "make tests" and all 465 tests passed.
>
>Even though all of the tests passed, this install still has a couple
>of problems. All vtk tcl scripts work flawlessly, including mouse and
>keyboard event recognition. The problems with the software occur when
>running interactive Cxx apps. The apps do recognize mouse events, but
>keyboard events are not. Instead, all keystrokes are simply echoed to
>the console, as was the case for fink's port of vtk.

This is due to bug 2025:
<http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2025&pos=2>

Please vote for it. :)

>Since I must
>have this feature for my class, I proceeded as below. (I might still
>try to install for cocoa only and see what effect that has on this
>problem.)

It will have the same problem.

>The fact that Cxx apps built with vtk-py23 had complete interactivity
>(in X11, not carbon or cocoa) led me to believe that if I did an X11-
>only install from CVS source, I could have fully functional
>interactive Cxx apps. I built from source with carbon and cocoa
>support OFF, X11 ON, GUI support ON, and tcl wrapping ON. Again, the
>compilation was flawless.

I suspect you are right.

>The problems for this X11-only version are opposite of those for the
>carbon version. Every Cxx app I have built so far has complete mouse
>and keyboard interactivity. But, the tcl wrapping has problems. I am
>able to run non-interactive tcl scripts just fine, but interactive
>tcl scripts result in seg fault. This would seem to suggest that
>vtk's interactive window renderer isn't working correctly. The vtk
>crash log suggests that this may be the case.

I've never used X11 nor Tcl, so don't have much to suggest.... but can
we see the crash log please?

>I have two separate builds that when combined satisfy my needs for my
>graphics and visualization class. It's not the perfect solution, but
>it's good enough for me. I'm sorry for sending such a long email. But
>after trying to install vtk on Mac OS X Tiger all week long
>(literally for several hours each day) and not really finding any
>helpful fixes (other than the very helpful suggestions to install vtk-
>py23 and to install from CVS), I thought that this detailed email
>would help other Mac users avoid this nightmare.

Don't apologise, your email was great!

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com