[vtkusers] Fill holes on a polydata mesh

Jonathan Bailleul bailleul at greyc.ensicaen.fr
Thu Sep 22 12:20:54 EDT 2005

Dear All,

I've used a vtkCleanPolydataFilter with high tolerance to simplify a
triangular mesh AND keeping the triangles geometry similar. The problem is
that many vertices were merged, resulting in interior cells, overlapping
cells, and holes on the surface. To that day, I managed to handle all these
problems properly with "hand-made" code, except for a special case in hole
filling.

When there is a hole in the surface that just has the "size" of a triangle,
everything works fine: I can identify the edges around the hole
(GetCellEdgesNeighbors <2), infer a single triangular cell from 3 of these
connected edges and just insert the cell.

When the hole is surrounded by more than 3 edges, I have to determine one
way to mesh their vertices so as to produce consistent triangles.
Nevertheless:
-I have no "hand-made" algorithm to achieve that.
-I have not identified a vtk 4.4 class that could perform that task.

Would you have any suggestion to make? To be honest, I feel like I am trying
to re-invent the wheel, but I didn't manage to do otherwise since I have no
serious background in the discrete geometry field (I am also off my lab,
which temporarily limitates my mailing-list archive-searching abilities).

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Best Regards,