[vtkusers] Fast vtk Rendering

Kim Chuan Lim lim.kim.chuan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:04:26 EDT 2005

Dear vtk users,

I have modified the examples program at
Examples/Medical/Tcl/Medical3.tcl by
adding more vtkActor of the same headsq
(rendering 3 headsq in color mode at the same time).
The speed of refreshing/rendering has become very slow.
I try to calculate the time of each rendering by using vtkTimer

timer1 start
renWin render
timer1 stop

The result time is up to 1 sec which is very slow and unacceptable.

Is there anyway to improve the speed of rendering?
What is the reason it take such a long time for each render?

I suspect that the chain updating for vtkVolumeReader16,
vtkContourFilter, vtkPolyDataNormal, vtkPolyDataMapper, and
vtkRenderer are giving the problem. Is there anyway to disable the
chaining?

What does vtkSource::ReleaseDataFlagOn really do? Will this stop
the chaining by set this to On?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Kim Chuan.

PS:
My computer spec: Linux mandrake 10.1 with P4 3GHz, 2GB RAM, geforce4 MX.