[vtkusers] transfer functions

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Wed Oct 26 17:51:45 EDT 2005

To create a transfer function that will show something you need to
understand the distribution of the scalar values in your data set. You
could simply use the scalar range and create a ramp between these two
values, but if these are singular extreme values then this will not work
well. Instead, you can walk through the data looking at all scalar values
and build a histogram (vtkImageAccumulate will do this for you). Then you
construct your transfer function using the information in the histogram -
for example, a ramp from 0 to 1 starting at a scalar value that is above
20% of the data, and stops at a scalar value above 80% of the data. The
exact function you want to use would really depend on you application area.

Lisa