[vtkusers] Dicom Question]

Jean-Pierre Roux Jean-Pierre.Roux at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon Oct 10 05:30:04 EDT 2005

gurugurupalm wrote:

>Dear vtk experts:
>
>   First of all, sorry to post this message to the
>mailing list.  I am new in DICOM format, and would
>appreciate to have some helps.
>   I search the vtk mailing archives, and found some
>discussion of the process of Dicom file.  Yet, I can
>not complete find what I need.
>   Since I am kind of new and would like to know if
>any of you can provide some helps:
>
>   I am currently using vtk 4.4 (not itk at this
>moment)

Even if you don't use ITK, your can use the Dicom library used by itk.
Have a look at
http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/Public/gdcm
It comes with a vtkGdcmImageReader

> to read the DICOM files, I wonder whether you
>can tell me how to
>   1>Know how many images are there in the dicom file
>when I open and read in the file?

In a 'single frame' image, you have only one image; in a multiframe
image, you have several images ...

>   2>If there are more than one images in a dicom
>file, when I read it, how would I be able to dispaly
>particular images?
>     (say, show the 3rd image, then 5 image, ... etc).

For the moment, you have to 'bring into memory' *all* the pixels, and
then choose the image you want to work with.

>   3>Is vtkDICOMImageReader the right function to read
>the DICOM file?

If the DICOM header is 'not too complicated' (that's to say if it's
using DICOM 'bona fide' way), it's OK.
This reader hangs on many images.
If you cannot succed in opening *your* images with it, use the 'gdcm' one.

HTH

Jean-Pierre Roux