[vtkusers] AIX and vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Thu Oct 6 16:43:22 EDT 2005

Hey all,

I have a little volume rendering program that
works great on linux, but I would like to get it
running under AIX. When I run it under AIX I
get the following error

ERROR: In
/synapse_scratch_local_many/cwant/vtk/VTK-HEAD/Filtering/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
line 724
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (125b5cb30): Input for connection index
0 on input port index 0 for algorithm
vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper(125757130) is NULL, but a vtkImageData
is required.

I get this error in both HEAD and VTK-5-0, and
it does not matter if I compile for 32 bit or
64 bits. I don't ever explicitely set up a
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.

The code connecting the various modules looks
something like this (some details, such as
transfer function setup excluded):

#define VTKNEW(A,B) A *B = A::New();

VTKNEW(vtkStructuredPoints, sp);
VTKNEW(vtkFloatArray, scalars);
// using my own array of floats
sp->SetDimensions(x, y, z);
scalars->SetArray(float_array, x * y * z, 1);
sp->GetPointData()->SetScalars(scalars);
sp->Update();

VTKNEW(vtkPiecewiseFunction, opacityTransferFunction);
VTKNEW(vtkColorTransferFunction, colorTransferFunction);
VTKNEW(vtkVolumeProperty, volumeProperty);
volumeProperty->SetColor(colorTransferFunction);
volumeProperty->SetScalarOpacity(opacityTransferFunction);
VTKNEW(vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper, volumeMapper);
volumeMapper->SetInput(sp);
VTKNEW(vtkVolume, volume);
volume->SetMapper(volumeMapper);
volume->SetProperty(volumeProperty);

Does anybody know why this might run fine on
linux (both 32-bit and 64-bit) but fail on
AIX?

Cheers,
Chris

( Chris Want                                                         )
( Research Computing Support                                         )
( Academic Information and Communication Technologies (AICT)         )
( University of Alberta                                              )
( Tel: 1-780-492-9418                                                )