[vtkusers] Using VTK 4.2 with Python 2.4

Arash Jahangir arash at vije.ca
Sun Nov 27 13:30:32 EST 2005

Hi,
Does anyone know how I can use VTK 4.2 (or 4.4) with Python 2.4?  I've been having a miserable time trying to build Cable Swig for the wrappers that I need.

Here's my set up:

OS:        Windows XP SP2
CMake:     2.2.2
CableS:    2.2 (also CVS version both have same issues)
VTK:        4.2
Python:    2.4
Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ Express (aka Visual Studio 8 Express)

Additional Notes:  VC Express lacks some critical header and lib files.  After consulting the related docs on MSDN, I added the bin-lib-include files from the latest PlatformSDK to VC8E.  This solved some problems (like lack windows.h file) but many issues remain.  I also have Mingw and Cygwin installed (not actively in the path).  Seeing how most of the problems are with gcc and gccxml branch of Cable, I added the Mingw bin-lib-include files to be used *after* the MS files...no change that I could notice.  I actually have a working Mingw/MSYS development environment (which includes the standard gcc, g++, gccxml, etc), so if there is a way to get VTK built with that while still being able to use the VC8E for my own VTK programs, I will listen.