[vtkusers] Build fails with MS Visual C++ 8 Express

Arash Jahangir arash at vije.ca
Sun Nov 27 13:24:40 EST 2005

Hi all,
Has anyone actually built ITK and/or VTK using Visual Studio Express?

This has been a most frustrating few days and I have run out of time, so all help is appreciated.

Most of the problems seem to be associated with building Cable Swig and Python Wrappers.   As the full build takes too much time, I have limited myself to just building cable swig for now.  Here is my set up:

OS:        Windows XP SP2
CMake:     2.2.2
CableS:    2.2 (also CVS version both have same issues)
ITK:         2.2
Python:    2.4
Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ Express (aka Visual Studio 8 Express)

Additional Notes:  VC Express lacks some critical header and lib files.  After consulting the related docs on MSDN, I added the bin-lib-include files from the latest PlatformSDK to VC8E.  This solved some problems (like lack windows.h file) but many issues remain.  I also have Mingw and Cygwin installed (not actively in the path).  Seeing how most of the problems are with gcc and gccxml branch of Cable, I added the Mingw bin-lib-include files to be used *after* the MS files...no change that I could notice.  I actually have a working Mingw/MSYS development environment (which includes the standard gcc, g++, gccxml, etc), so if there is a way to get ITK built with that while still being able to use the VC8E for my own ITK/VTK programs, I will listen.

thanks
Arash