[vtkusers] Deprecated includes in VTK

Mike Jackson maillist at bluequartz.net
Wed Nov 23 10:16:13 EST 2005

On Nov 23, 2005, at 9:07 AM, David Cole wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2005, at 11:53 PM, Mike Jackson wrote:
>
>> Is it really this hard to compile VTK?
>
> It really shouldn't be, but yes, sometimes it is... :-)
> (Might have something to do with the number of possible builds you
> can configure thanks to all the options that VTK has...)
> (Might also have something to do with the number of macs available
> to build dashboards and the comparatively slow speed that they have
> when doing so... especially using Xcode)
>
> You'll notice that the top 7 dashboards of VTK at http://
> public.kitware.com/dashboard.php?name=vtk are all Macintosh builds
> with various configurations. You'll also notice that they are all
> make-based dashboards, not Xcode. As soon as we get VTK building
> reliably with Xcode, you'll see an Xcode based Nightly dashboard of
> VTK appear...
>
> Perhaps you could try building VTK with make until then?

  I _do_ build VTK with make. I use ccmake to configure it, then make
to build it. Are you saying that I should use cmake/make to also
build all my projects that use VTK? This seems a bit unreasonable.
Why is it that I can use my past VTK 4.2/Static Libs/Cocoa with any
project and it works just fine, then I try VTK 5 with Dynamic Libs/
Cocoa and things fall apart? This speaks of a problem with VTK 5 NOT
xcode, although I would agree that Xcode isn't the "innocent"
bystander all the time.

---
Mike Jackson
mike _at_ bluequartz dot net