[vtkusers] Deprecated includes in VTK

Mike Jackson maillist at bluequartz.net
Mon Nov 21 19:02:57 EST 2005

When I compile I get the following warning:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0/backward/
backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at
least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one
of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard.
Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for
C++ includes, or <iostream> instead of the deprecated header
<iostream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.

In the Common/vtkIOStream there is the following include:

# include <strstream> // Include real ansi strstreams.

If you look deep down in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/c
++/4.0.0/backward/strstream at line 51, there is the following comment.

// WARNING: The classes defined in this header are DEPRECATED.  This
// header is defined in section D.7.1 of the C++ standard, and it
// MAY BE REMOVED in a future standard revision.  You should use the
// header <sstream> instead.

Is this just a GCC 4.x thing, a Mac thing or something else?

---
Mike Jackson
mike _at_ bluequartz dot net