[vtkusers] Vectors on a plane

Beau Sapach beau.sapach at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 3 16:18:54 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm probing a dataset using a plane with the vtkProbeFilter.  The vectors of
the dataset are interpolate, no problem, but I'd like to alter the vectors
such that when I look at the plane in 2D the vectors are relative to the
plane's x and y axis.

For example if I have a dataset that is 5x5x5 points and probe it with a 5x5
plane using:

Plane->SetOrigin(0,2.5,0);

Plane->SetPoint1(0,2.5,5);

Plane->SetPoint2(5,2.5,0);

Then I'll have an axial slice through the cube.  Now imagine that all the
vectors are -z, that is (0,0,-1).  If I look at the plane in 2D the vectors
all point into the monitor still.  They SHOULD point straight up or down or
left or right, depending on how I orient the plane.  Obviously I'll have to
swap the vector components so that z is now x, but is there a vtk way of
doing this?  Or do I have to do it manually???  Anyone have any suggestions?

Beau