[vtkusers] Mapping multiple textures onto a single plane

David.Pont at ensisjv.com David.Pont at ensisjv.com
Wed Nov 2 15:05:22 EST 2005

"Mönch, Tobias" <Tobias.Moench at Medizin.Uni-Magdeburg.DE> wrote on
03/11/2005 04:13:25:

> Hi vtk’ers,
>
> At the moment I’m trying to map textures onto a plane. For one
> single texture-image I’m just using a combination of vtkTexture and
> vtkPlaneSource.
> This is so far no problem. But what I finally want, is to map
> several texture onto one single plane to receive „one huge“ texture.
> I thought about creating lots of small planes to receive a result
> that looks like one huge textured plane, but I believe the single-
> plane-version would be faster for possible operations due to interaction.
> So, does anybody have some experiences with that and could give me
> some tips? At the moment I just don’t see the solution...
>
> Thanks,
> Tobias
Hi Tobias,
  If you want to layer images on top of each other you could use
vtkImageBlend.
If you want to tile them side by side you could try vtkImageAppend, perhaps
by first making a number of strips (eg AppendAxis=X) then append the strips
(eg AppendAxis=Y) ?
Alternatively you could assemble the new image yourself by figuring out how
to read and write pixels in vtkImageData.
I'm not sure about relative performance of many smaller textures vs one
large one, I guess you will find out.
  Dave P