[vtkusers] Molecule structure

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at gmail.com
Fri May 20 07:40:25 EDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Rasmus Hemph <rasmus.hemph at chalmers.se> wrote:
> I get three different behaviours. Three out of four times all goes well
> , the other time it either freezes for about 30 seconds or freezes up
> totally (or at least until my patience runs out after 15 minutes)
>
> I will try out the older drivers, this is very annoying!

It is REALLY annoying.  AFAICR, I've seen this behaviour since about
driver version 6111.  I've tried to make a test case that reproduces
this bug, but it's unfortunately still quite complex.  It makes use of
a deliberately broken version of my vtkFlRenderWindowInteractor.  In
the non-broken version, the code passes an X11 DisplayId and a
WindowId (coming from the FLTK library) for VTK to render to.  The
broken version only passes a WindowId, so VTK has to create its own
DisplayId to render to the passed WindowId.

This used to work fine in previous releases of the NV driver, but now
it causes these REALLY annoying temporary system freezes.  AFAIK,
NVidia has not made ANY kind of statement in this regard.

See here for my test setup and some ancillary information:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=605837&postcount=143

Good luck,
Charl