[vtkusers] VTK web service

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu May 12 15:10:41 EDT 2005

 <42812114.3000102 at ualberta.ca>Chris Want writes:
>Scott J. Pearson wrote:
<snip>
>> VTK plugin (does such a thing already exist?). A final option would be to
>> render pngs server-side, but I'm not sure if this is possible without a
>> window. Does anybody have experience in such matters?

<snip>
>it is indeed possible. You have to make sure the
>VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA setting is on when building
>vtk. The creation of the render window looks something
<snip>

Particularly on systems with non-mesa OpenGL implementations, I've
found it to be a pain to install mangled mesa and get VTK to use it.

I'd recommend Glen Lehmann's vtkXOpenGLOffScreenRenderWindow:

http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/~glehmann/OffScreen/OffScreen.html

We've been using it for some time with VTK4.2 / VTK4.4 with no issues,
and it was much easier than rebuilding VTK with mesa.

Of course, I'm assuming here that your server is UNIX-based...

-tom