[vtkusers] upgrading VTK4.2 to 4.4

bogdan feldrihan fe_bogdan2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 05:37:18 EST 2005

Hi!
I'm new in using VTK. I've installed VTK 4.2 on my PC (Visual Studio 7 .NET on Windows XP).

I want to upgrade to VTK 4.4 because I have to work with DICOM images.
I have experienced problems in doing that.

When I had installed VTK4.2 I downloaded VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.zip and VTKData 4.2.zip from http://www.vtk.org/get-software.php#cvs.

I dowloaded VTK-4.4-LatestRelease.zip. Shouldn't it be a "VTKData 4.4.zip" ? I have to use VTKData 4.2.zip with VTK4.4?

I followed all the steps from the following link:
           http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/%7Ejli023/vtk/BuildandinstallVTKbinaries.htm

What should I put in the field VTK_DATA_ROOT? I tried with the link to VTKData 4.2 because in VTK 4.4 I don't have a VTKData.

I set up Visual Studio .NET following the steps from the above link.

I' ve opened VTK.sln from C:\VTKBin44 using VS. NET 2003 and I've build it in Release mode.
There was no problem.

I have experienced problems when I build another examples. There were errors like:

 c:\work\VTK\CxxExamples\expCos.cxx(80): error C2027: use of undefined type 'vtkPointData'
c:\work\VTK\CxxExamples\expCos.cxx(80): error C2227: left of '->SetScalars' must point to class/struct/union

When I'he build the same project with VTK4.2 there was no problem.
Can anyone help me?
Can somebody gime me a link where can I find informations about upgrading to VTK4.4?

Thanks,
    Bogdan