[vtkusers] VTK_USE_DISPLAY not honored

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Tue Jun 14 10:52:48 EDT 2005

I've been trying to build VTK on our beowulf cluster.  I set
VTK_USE_DISPLAY to OFF in ccmake because I run make and make test on a
compute node with DISPLAY unset.  Tests that would pop up windows are
still run but segfault.  When I tried make test on the login node with
ssh forwarding X, there were pop-ups, slow popups, and the tests passed.
I guess I was expecting that the tests would be run with off screen
rendering, or at least not run run if VTK_USE_DISPLAY is OFF.

Is this a bug? Does it even make sense to build the rendering stuff if
the compute nodes won't have any way to open windows?