[vtkusers] Getting a volume from a cloud of points

Daniel Garcia dgarlor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 04:14:47 EDT 2005

Hi to all,

I'm trying to make an apparently easy feature but I don't find really
the good way, I hope you will be able to help me.

I have a file with a lot of points of the contour of a volume. To get
an idea it's more less like a cylinder and I have 2100 points...21
transversals circles of 100 points.

I need to use the contour to make a segmentation so my idea was to get
at last vtkImageStencil or vtkImageData to make a mask.

My first idea was to use vtkDelaunay3D and with the volume ready get
easyly a vtkImageData. The problem is that I found holes inside the
volume.

First I thought it's was because the points were "widely dispersed"
and tried to resolved inserting the point in the middle of each circle
but without better results, I also tried to modify the offset. Any
solutions to make a without holes volume always??

Other solution will be get a vtkPolyData of the surface and then use
vtkPolyDataToImageStencil to get the selection, but I didn't manage to
use nor Delaunay2D nor vtkContourGrid after the vtkDelaunay3D.

Thank you for any idea or any example of the classes I mention.

Daniel