[vtkusers] Re: [vtk-developers] VTK 5.0 branch in mid-August

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sun Jul 31 23:41:31 EDT 2005

    Will> Folks- Unless I hear some compelling reasons, we are looking
    Will> at a tentative date of mid-August to branch VTK 5.0. It's
    Will> time to get something out, and the revamped pipeline is
    Will> stable. I would like to ask all of you to please help us
    Will> return the VTK dashboard to a squeaky green state, and avoid
    Will> checking in any fragile code at this point. Dave Cole here
    Will> at Kitware is going to help me with this; both of us are
    Will> feeling militant with big sticks right now so don't be
    Will> surprised to hear from us if some of your code is
    Will> problematic.

    Will> I'd like to hear your feedback if you have comments or
    Will> concerns. Thanks, Will

I had plans to make some small changes to the Python extension
modules.  The idea is to use the Apple approach, i.e. build a
vtk*PythonD.so and install that along with the other VTK libraries and
then build a separate vtk*Python.so that links to the vtk*PythonD.so.
This makes it much easier to install vtkpython.  However, this might
be too much of a change, so I am willing to do this after 5.0 is
released (maybe for 5.1).

I also mentioned a peculiar problem I faced here:

 http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2005-July/003427.html

IMHO, this is a serious bug.  If you'd like I can check in a test case
for this.  I'd appreciate if this were fixed before 5.0 is released.

Thanks.

cheers,
prabhu