[vtkusers] Re: linux VTK CVS build , undefined symbol: _ZTV24vtkVolumeRayCastFunction ???

Dan White dan at chalkie.org.uk
Thu Jul 21 08:00:48 EDT 2005

Hi,

I trashed all VTK stuff from
/usr/bin
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/include
and vtkpython and anything else on the system I could find including
stuff in the python /site-packages

trashed the contents of my VTK/bin directory

checked my ccmake .   stuff was all as it should be,
then ran
make
got no errors
did
make install
as root,
then as normal user
importing vtk in the python 2.4 interpreter, I got the same error as
below,

so it looks like the CVS version is broken for libvtkRendering.so
on linux?

Or what..... any clues what to try next?

cheers

Dan

On Jul 21, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Charl P. Botha wrote:

> On 7/21/05, Dan White <dan at chalkie.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> bash-3.00$ python2.4
>> Python 2.4 (#1, Nov 30 2004, 11:25:14)
>> [GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)] on linux2
>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
>> information.

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/vtk_python/vtk/
>> __init__.py", line 51, in ?
>>      __helper.refine_import_err('rendering', 'vtkRenderingPython',
>> exc)
>>    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/vtk_python/vtk/
>> __helper.py", line 32, in refine_import_err
>>      raise LinkError, str(exc)
>> vtk.__helper.LinkError: /home/dan/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.so:
>> undefined symbol: _ZTV24vtkVolumeRayCastFunction
>>

> This is most probably due to the move of the volume rendering classes
> into the VolumeRendering kit.  The easiest way to fix this would be to
> nuke your build directory (but keep your CMakeCache.txt) and start
> over.  Alternatively, you could try just erasing everything in your
> bin directory (where all the SOs are dumped) and rebuilding.
>
> --
> charl p. botha http://cpbotha.net/ http://visualisation.tudelft.nl/
>
> c.p.botha ||at|| ewi.tudelft.nl - tu delft work-related email
> cpbotha ||at|| cpbotha.net - everything else

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35