[vtkusers] [POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] VTK Mac and Java

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jul 12 14:38:31 EDT 2005

On 2005-07-12 10:47, Bryan Keller said:

>It seems as though the VTK Mac Java wrapper is pretty broken with the
>current versions of Mac OS X (the Cocoa wrapper more specifically).

How is it broken?  (I don't doubt you, I'm just asking for details...)

>I've overhauled the Cocoa wrapper to make it work. Attached are the
>Cocoa wrapper files I have modified to get it to work. I tweaked a
>few other things here and there, but these files are the main ones
>that changed. Let me know if anyone has problems with it. I'd be
>happy to fix it for them (and you would be doing me a favor by
>testing it for me!).

Well, I looked over your changes really fast, and some of them are good
but some of them bad IMHO.  I mean, you have removed several public
methods from classes (for example, you removed getVTKRenderWindow from
vtkCocoaWindow) and so this breaks compatibility in a big way.  I'll
look over your changes more closely this afternoon.

Anyway, in my opinion, the cocoa stuff in vtk needs work, and I'm glad
I'm not alone in thinking so.  I have made some changes too (not in
cvs), but there seems to be few people in the vtk community with the
time/interest/expertise/whatever to look them over. Since I didn't write
any of the code, I am hesitant to make significant changes.

Are you interested in collaborating to fix up the cocoa stuff?  I'd like
to hear the rational for some of your changes....

>I have this working with VTK 4.2 and 4.4 (but to
>get VTK to compile on OS X requires minor tweaks throughout VTK).

The CVS version of vtk builds fine on Mac OS X.  I suggest that if you
are working on the Mac, to stay away from 4.2 and 4.4.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com