[vtkusers] Cannot build on Mac OS X

Matthieu Masquelet matthieu.masquelet at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 02:13:35 EDT 2005

Hi all,

First message here for me, I'm a new Mac user and I have only end-user
background on Unix. I'm trying to build VTK (latest version from CV) on my
Powerbook G4 in order to use MayaVi for my research. I think I finally got
Cmake installed correctly but the build of VTK does not go smoothly... I do
the ccmake configuration and I have all the options that I've read about
(COCOA, CARBON, wrappings,...). I didn't touch anything, should I have? Once
the config is done and I want to build vtk, I get the following error
message:
% sudo make
.
.
.
Building CXX object Common/vtkCommon.dir/vtkByteSwap.o
/Users/Kheldar/Documents/Research/SOFTWARE/VTK/Common/vtkByteSwap.cxx:35:
error: an explicit specialization must be preceded by 'template <>'
/Users/Kheldar/Documents/Research/SOFTWARE/VTK/Common/vtkByteSwap.cxx:39:
error: an explicit specialization must be preceded by 'template <>'
/Users/Kheldar/Documents/Research/SOFTWARE/VTK/Common/vtkByteSwap.cxx:48:
error: an explicit specialization must be preceded by 'template <>'
/Users/Kheldar/Documents/Research/SOFTWARE/VTK/Common/vtkByteSwap.cxx:58:
error: an explicit specialization must be preceded by 'template <>'
make[2]: *** [Common/vtkCommon.dir/vtkByteSwap.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Common/vtkCommon.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is there a problem with my C compiler? Thanks in advance !

Matthieu Masquelet