[vtkusers] Multiple render windows on a single data set

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Jul 8 03:50:14 EDT 2005

Eugene

If you are using immediatemoderendering, then you can re-use the actors
and mappers from one renderwindow (opengl context) etc. If you are using
display lists, then from the mapper downstream (mapper->actor etc) you
need to duplicate classes. This is because when using immediatemode, the
mapper does not create any substantial intermediate data - it simply
converts data to GL primitives. The actor likewise doesn't really do
much - its mostly a holder for the mapper, properties and matrices etc.

It is however usually a good idea to use different actors (if you need
independent views with non linked rotations etc).

JB
[Note that data (water) flows from from Source (=reader) to sink
(=actor), so actors are down(stream) of readers - just for the sake of
terminology - I think I read your post the wrong way around]