[vtkusers] icosahedron faces with scalar data

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Tue Jul 5 10:47:26 EDT 2005

Tuomas Neuvonen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My intention is to visualize an icosahedron (and its subdivisions) and
> project some scalar data on each of its faces (one value per face). I
> have the vertex coordinates, list of vertices forming the faces, and
> face normal vectors available. What would be the recommended approach?

Tuomas,

	I think the easiest and more robust solution would be to create a vtk
class, just like vtkTetra, vtkHexaheron or vtkPyramid. They are all 3d
linear cells. Reading the implementation file of those classes should be
enough for you to get started.

	If you feel uncomfortable with creating your own VTK class, you can
always use vtkConvexPointSet, but you'll suffer a huge performance hit
by doing this in a dataset containing multiple icosahedrons.

HTH
Mathieu