[vtkusers] cannot compile vtk with cmake 2.05 and vc++ 8 2005

Alexis H. Rivera-Rios ahrivera at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 16:49:16 EST 2005

Bill,

I found this in the CMakeCCompiler.cmake

SET(CMAKE_C_COMPILER "cl")
SET(CMAKE_AR "CMAKE_AR-NOTFOUND")
SET(CMAKE_RANLIB ":")
SET(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCC )
SET(CMAKE_C_COMPILER_LOADED 1)
SET(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_MINGW )
SET(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_CYGWIN )
IF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_CYGWIN)
  SET(CYGWIN 1)
  SET(UNIX 1)
ENDIF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_CYGWIN)

IF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_MINGW)
  SET(MINGW 1)
ENDIF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_MINGW)
SET(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCC_RUN 1)

CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
SET(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER "cl")
SET(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCXX )
SET(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_LOADED 1)
SET(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCC_RUN 1)

Does this mean that its finding gcc instead of the
vc++ compiler, even though I specified it to use the
vc++ compiler?

Also, I tried the command you told me and I got this
errors:

C:\opt\vtk_build>cmake --debug-trycompile ../VTK
debug trycompile on
-- Check for working C compiler: cl -- works
-- Check for working CXX compiler: cl -- works
CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable:
CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN that has not been defined. Some
variables were always defined by CMake in versions
prior to 1.6. To fix this you might need to set the
cache value of CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or
less. If you are writing a CMakeList file, (or have a
lready set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or
less) then you probably need to include a CMake module
to test for the feature this variable defines.

CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable:
CMAKE_SIZEOF_INT that has not been defined. Some
variables were always defined by CMake in versions
prior to 1.6. To fix this you might need to set the
cache value of CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or
less. If you are writing a CMakeList file, (or have
already set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or
less) then you probably need to include a CMake module
to test for the feature this variable defines.

CMake Error: An attempt was made to access a variable:
CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN that has not been defined. Some
variables were always defined by CMake in versions
prior to 1.6. To fix this you might need to set the
cache value of CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or
less. If you are writing a CMakeList file, (or have a
lready set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or
less) then you probably need to include a CMake module
to test for the feature this variable defines.
-- Compiling VTK CMake commands
-- Compiling VTK CMake commands - done
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
C:/opt/VTK/CMake/vtkLoadCMakeExtensions.cmake:7:
LOAD_COMMAND Attempt to load command failed from file
: cmVTK_WRAP_TCL2.dll
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
C:/opt/VTK/CMake/vtkLoadCMakeExtensions.cmake:17:
A command failed during the invocation of macro
"VTK_LOAD_SINGLE_CMAKE_EXTENSION".
-- Configuring done

Something's wrong with the cmake commands, how do I
proceed now?

Thanks,
Alexis

--- "William A. Hoffman" <billlist at nycap.rr.com>