[vtkusers] how to draw a 3D spring

Marius S Giurgi rendezvous at dreamxplosion.com
Sun Jan 16 14:30:37 EST 2005

Hey, Shi

Here's an example I used to create tubed axes, using the vtkTubeFilter.

# Axes
vtkAxes axes
   axes SetOrigin 0 0 0
   axes SetScaleFactor 200
   axes SymmetricOn

vtkTubeFilter tubedAxes
   tubedAxes SetInput [axes GetOutput]
   tubedAxes SetRadius 3
   tubedAxes SetNumberOfSides 16
   tubedAxes CappingOn

vtkPolyDataMapper axesMapper
   axesMapper SetInput [tubedAxes GetOutput]

vtkActor axesActor
   axesActor SetMapper axesMapper

Once you get the polyline created (the spiral/helix for your spring)
you can pass it as an input to the vtkTubeFilter to get it tubed.
Pretty cool. Check it out and see if this is what you're looking for.
(I don't know whether there's a class to create the helix though. You
might have to generate it on your own).

cheers,
marius