[vtkusers] How to combine several actors into a single entity?

Shi Jin jinzishuai at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 15:50:36 EST 2005

Hi there,

I am very new to VTK. I have now a problem drawing a
multiple spring-bead polymer model. For example, I
want to draw a dumbbell with one spring and two
spheres at the end. Now what I do is to make three
actors for them. But ideally I think I should be able
to make them into a single identity so that it is
easier to manipulate them as a whole. Is there a way
to make these three actors into a single actor or
something similiar?

I initialy thought that they are just data so that I
can make them into one polyData object by inserting
several parts. But I then found out that all I can
insert is cells, but not the primitives such as
spheres and springs(which is a
vtkRotationalExtrusionFilter).

Can you help me?
Thanks a lot.