[vtkusers] Re: build TIFF-images to a volume?

Jeremy Winston jbw at ieee.org
Tue Feb 8 20:27:10 EST 2005

Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 10:20 +0100, Stephan Theisen wrote:
>>
>>I've a lot of 2D images in the tiff format. These images are from a
>>medical CT Dataset. Now I want to visualizise
>>them in a volume. How can I put the slices together?

If you have Tcl installed, and your files are named
    basenameN.tif
where NN is between 1 & 50 inclusive, try this:

# --- Begin: ---
vtkTIFFReader tReader
   tReader SetFilePrefix  "Path/To/Your/Data/Files/basename"
   tReader SetFilePattern "%s%i.tif"       ;# I.e., {Prefix}{Image#}.tif
   tReader SetImageRange 1 50              ;# Slice numbers
   tReader SetDataSpacing 0.33 0.33 1.0    ;# x,y,z pixel spacing
   tReader SetDataOrigin 0 0 0

vtkContourFilter sfcExtractor
   sfcExtractor SetInput  [tReader GetOutput]
   sfcExtractor SetValue 0 500
vtkPolyDataNormals sfcNormals
   sfcNormals SetInput [sfcExtractor GetOutput]
   sfcNormals SetFeatureAngle 60.0
vtkPolyDataMapper sfcMapper
   sfcMapper SetInput [sfcNormals GetOutput]
   sfcMapper ScalarVisibilityOff
vtkActor sfc
   sfc SetMapper skinMapper

vtkRenderer aRenderer
vtkRenderWindow renWin
   renWin AddRenderer aRenderer
vtkRenderWindowInteractor iren
   iren SetRenderWindow renWin

aRenderer AddActor sfc

iren AddObserver UserEvent {wm deiconify .vtkInteract}

iren Initialize
wm withdraw .

or something like that.
You'll probably have to fiddle with the contour filter
threshold values as appropriate for your data.

Check out the example Tcl files for more ideas.

HTH,
-Jeremy