[vtkusers] cutting or extracting surfaces (please help)

Theodore Papatheodorou tp500 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 14:45:34 EST 2005

Hi all,
I have been trying to write a program that will extract part of a
cylinder. I define a box as an explicit fuction but I can't get it to
work. The problems are that vtkCutter does not extract the whole
geometry but instead just where the implicit fuction intersects the
other surface.
So I tried to use vtkExtractGeometry which takes all of the surface
inside the area defined by the explicit function. That filter however,
does not output the data as polydata.
Any suggestions?
The problem in simple terms is that I have a surface and I want to cut
and keep half of it. Say I have a sphere, I want to keep half of it, as
a polydata. Could someone give me some pointers before I waist my youth
on this?
theodoros